Eradication of the Japanese Beetle in the Cedar Mill Community…….
Have you been driving through Cedar Mill and wondering what all the green traps, in lush green grassy areas are all about? Well, it’s a large scale effort to eradicate the Japanese beetle from 1,000 acres of the Cedar Mill area!
In the months of April & May, professionally licensed lawn care experts, in combination with the Oregon Department of Agriculture, treated hundreds of private lawns and acres of grassy common areas, with a pesticide called Acelepryn G, in addition to setting many, many traps.
5 Reasons to Dislike the Japanese Beetle:
- Goodbye roses (and everything else)- these beetles devour the blossoms of roses and many other garden plants.
- No hops and grapes = no beer and wine! – Japanese beetles love to feed on foliage of hops and grapes. Party foul!
- Grass munchers- the beetle lives underground, feasting on the roots of grass and plants, causing brown spots in lawns, parks, golf courses, and sports fields.
- They never dine alone- these beetles are attracted to each other and love to make a mess of your flowers and plants.
- Hello new unwanted neighbors! – If the Japanese beetle is not eradicated in Oregon, it will be here to stay and will be a horrible new pest for homeowners and farmers. The eastern U.S. has fought this beetle for over 90 years and it’s not going away!
If you would like to learn more about this process and the Japanese Beetle, visit: www.japanesebeetlepdx.info
- information from the Oregon Department of Agriculture, IPPM brochure